It's been the headquarters of the Napa Valley Unified School District for generations now, but this Beaux Arts-style landmark at the corner of Jefferson Street and Lincoln Avenue was originally built in 1922 as Napa Union High School. Many older Napans remember attending classes there in the half-century before the "new" Napa High went up next door. As the old school aged, it was pronounced unsafe for student use apart from the District Auditorium, which itself was heavily damaged in the 2000 earthquake. For much of the 1990s, the Education Center was painted a startling "Caltrans yellow," until community members and businesses chipped in to restore its historic exterior. Facilities bonds approved by district voters in the 2000s helped modernize the building's interior and restore the District Auditorium to community use. The school board holds its regular public meetings in the south wing of the building.