Up and down Napa County, voters and other residents are taking sides over Measure U, likely the most contentious measure on the county ballot.
Aimed directly at plans by Pacific Union College in Angwin to develop its property, which is zoned Urban Residential, the voter initiative seeks to rezone the land and prohibit its subdivision by amending the Napa County General Plan.
Measure U proposes to rezone about 25 acres of Angwin land, most of it owned by PUC and currently classified Urban Residential, to Agriculture, Watershed and Open Space, and to rezone roughly the same amount of PUC land to Public-Institutional.
The general plan amendments proposed in Measure U also include upgrading and expanding Angwin's aged sewage treatment facility.
And Measure U would amend the general plan to prohibit subdivision of land zoned Public-Institutional throughout the county, including around Napa State Hospital and the Napa County Airport.
"The measure's prohibition on subdivision of lands likely conflicts with state law," writes Napa County Counsel Minh C. Tran in the impartial analysis that appears in the ballot.
Measure U has the support of local landowners, including film actor and director Robert Redford, as well as the Napa County Green Party.
It is opposed by Pacific Union College and the Napa Chamber of Commerce, among others including a group of New Technology High School students in Napa.
Opinions about Measure U on Napa Valley Patch have included:
- Letter: Napa County Green Party Supports Measure U
- Blog: A place like France in the U.S.
- Blog: Is Measure U legally flawed?
Do you support or oppose Measure U? Tell us in the comments where you stand and why.
For more about the Nov. 6 ballot measures, please see:
- Calistoga Measure B Opposes Resort Expansion Plan
- Bond Measure C Seeks $30 Million for St. Helena Schools
- Stronger Airport Runway is Measure S Goal in Napa County
- Measure T for Napa County Roads Would Extend Sales Tax in 2018
- Future Voters Take Sides on Ballot Measures in Napa
- Proposition Voter Guide: What to Know About California's Ballot Measures
Stay Patched in on Election Night! For results, color, interviews and photos throughout the day, follow Napa Valley Patch on Twitter | Like Napa Valley Patch on Facebook | Sign up for the daily email with links to the latest news | Got something to say? Start a blog and share your views.