- Napa County is experiencing major demographic changes.
- Gang activity is growing, but manageable.
- There is a modest geographic concentration of gang problems.
- The gang problems are more pronounced among juveniles than adults.
- Gang membership is a fluid state.
- Hispanics have higher numbers as gang members in the criminal justice system.
- Gang affiliation is a risk factor for substance abuse and victimization.
- More intervention and prevention is needed.
- Anti-gang and at-risk youth programs in schools.
- Meetings with the community to discuss gang issues and collect data.
- Do not treat all gang members and at-risk youth as equals.
- The large number of Hispanic gang members is a problem that requires efforts beyond police and needs to involve the community.
Source: County of Napa. More: Commission Combats Gangs in Napa.