NEW Twist in Kenwood Shooting: Body Found of Man Believed Killed by Standoff Suspect

Body found near Lake Hennessey not yet identified, Napa detectives said.

Napa County sheriff's detectives found the body of a male homicide victim they believe was killed by the Napa man who died during a standoff at a Kenwood trailer on Wednesday, a sheriff's captain said.

 The body of the man was found near Lake Hennessey, and it's believed he was killed within the past week or so, Sheriff's Capt. Steve Blower said. The victim has not yet been identified. Detectives learned about the homicide during the standoff incident in Kenwood, Blower said.

Blower said Napa County detectives tried to serve an arrest warrant Tuesday on Miguel Garcia at the trailer in the 200 block of Hoff Road in Kenwood. Garcia was wanted on child endangerment, drug and weapons charges.

"The attempt to serve the arrest warrant resulted in a standoff with Garcia," Blower said. "During the negotiations with Garcia he revealed that he killed a person in Napa County."

When the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office's Special Operations Unit tried to serve Garcia the warrant on behalf of Napa County authorities at 11:50 p.m. Tuesday, the owner of the trailer left and informed sheriff's officers there was an armed man and a woman inside the trailer, Sonoma County sheriff's Lt. Bret Sackett said.

The woman left the trailer around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, and she confirmed the man in the trailer was armed with a rifle, Sackett said.

The resulting standoff that continued throughout Wednesday included negotiations with Garcia in the trailer.

"During the negotiations, the suspect confessed to several violent felonies, including a murder," Sackett said. "Law enforcement immediately attempted to verify these crimes and what, if any, involvement the suspect may have in the commission of these crimes."

The Sonoma County sheriff's SWAT team fired tear gas into the trailer after 5 p.m. Wednesday to try to "re-engage" negotiations, Sackett said.

Garcia responded by shooting at the SWAT team, and one of the bullets struck a residence, Sackett said. When more tear gas was fired into the trailer, Garcia appeared in the open front door.

SWAT team members fired at Garcia, he fell to the ground and was determined to be deceased, Sackett said. Garcia suffered a gunshot wound to the chest, but it's not known if it was self-inflicted or if he was struck by the SWAT team, Sackett said.

Sackett said that during the standoff, Garcia had threatened to kill himself "on numerous occasions" or cause law enforcement officers to kill him. Petaluma and Santa Rosa police are investigating the incident.

To read the statement released Thursday evening by the Petaluma Police Department, click here.

Copyright © 2014 by Bay City News, Inc. -- Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited. 
Matt Grantham April 06, 2014 at 08:45 AM
Some reports claim there was an exchange of gunfire and others not. Typical ambiguity from police shooting incidents


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »