A Napa couple returned from breakfast out at a restaurant just after 10:30 a.m. today to find smoke coming from their home at 1046 Broadmoor, Napa.
A fire, likely starting in the dishwasher while the couple were out, self-extinguished by the time Napa City firefighters at the scene could activate their hoses, said Napa City Fire Capt. Doug Bridewell.
"The fire did its damage and was on the way out" before the hoses could be deployed, Bridewell said. "The fire put itself out."
The kitchen of the single-story home sustained major heat damage, while the rest of the house had minor to moderate damage, mostly from smoke, Bridewell said.
Firefighters were still at the scene at 1 p.m. today for investigation and cleanup, he said.
Bridewell said he did not yet have an estimate on the cost of damages, pending the ongoing investigation.