A Napa family had to evacuate their home on Lynn Drive Sunday evening, when a fire started in the chimney, Napa Fire Capt. Steve Becker said.
Everyone made it out of the house unhurt, Becker added.
Firefighters arrived at about 8:15 p.m. and quickly doused the flames.
“When we got there, there were sparks and embers coming from the chimney,” Becker said.
“The fire was contained to the chimney, and there was no permanent damage to the home,” he added.
Becker said he strongly urges residents to have their chimneys cleaned and inspected before they start using their fireplaces and woodstoves this winter.
“It’s a good idea to do that at least once a year,” he said.
Another call to came at around 7 this morning, when Napa firefighters rolled to an oven fire in the 1200 block of Hemlock Street.
“When we got there, the fire had extinguished itself," Becker said.
“The homeowner did the right thing. He left the oven door shut and called the fire department.”
Stay Patched in! Follow Napa Valley Patch on Twitter | Like Napa Valley Patch on Facebook | Sign up for the daily email with links to the latest news | Got something to say? Start a blog and share your views.