Caffino is gone, its kiosk fated for the scrap heap of Bel Aire Plaza history along with the old bowling lanes and nightclubs that long ago drew working-class Napans to the city's north end for recreation.
The former Hallmark and Pure Beauty stores are also long vacant.
But other Bel Aire businesses are thriving, with new tenants confirmed and others close to making a decision, according to property manager Craig Semmelmeyer of Main Street Properties in Lafayette.
Pier One and Chico's are both signed up to open in the new year, and Semmelmeyer told Napa Valley Patch reporter Marsha Dorgan he'd like to see a kitchen store join the Bel Aire line-up, a hope reflected in the artist's rendering Main Street Properties shared with us.
Updated Monday morning: We posted this drawing on Facebook Sunday night and got more than 40 "likes" and 30+ comments. Here's what people are saying in our response to the question, "Would you like to see a Sur La Table at Bel Aire Plaza?"
- Leisa Jones That over Pier 1 would be fairly awesome!
- Mary Ellen Murphy that would be pretty cool!
- Matthew Young No, I'd prefer another Starbucks.
- Laura Rawlins Ceja YESSSSSSSSSSSS!
- Neil Gehrke I'll second Starbucks. We need good coffee in this town.
- Sherry Vattuone Oh yes yes
- Candy Ferrando Cocilova Rather have a Crate and Barrel OR Michaels
- T Beller how about all of the above?
- Karen Hutchison Calhoun Well, duh!
- John Bonick I'd rather see Noah's Bagels.
- Ann Trinca No more expensive kitchen shops needed thanks
- Lewis deSoto Apple Store, please.
- Lorna McLearie Yes, or the Gardener in Berkeley would be great and interesting.
- John Bonick Yes, Lewis. Apple store. Right next to Noah's Bagels. By the way, there are eight Starbucks in Napa already.
- Katie Chauncy I agree, a Crate & Barrel would be awesome!
- Karen Schuppert Thumbs down on Starbucks. Peet's is great coffee.
- Patti McGreal Renspurger I am all for a decent craft/ fabric store like Beverly's or Michael's, maybe put Joanne's fabrics back in there.
- Cathy Gumina Odom Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!! I love that store!!!
- Jennifer Vallerga I can honestly say that I wouldn't shop at Sur La Table. Im particular and loyal to Mr Shackford and his excellent customer service and products. No, no food there, but that in itself wouldn't be enough to sway me. I would rather see a craft store go in, that way we don't have to drive to Fairfield or Vallejo when we need something other than fabric.
- Leslie Doumani no leave it to Shackfords!! shop local
- Carol Yates I like the outdoor store idea or a Michael's. No more Starbucks!
- Brenda Hensley something non-corporate/big business would be nice.
- Melissa Foskett Goleno What the heck is that? Never heard of it.
- Crystal da Silva Michael's craft please. You took our poor Joann's away long ago.
- Lorna McLearie I think since the cows have left the barn long ago and we have all the coffee, grocery stores, Target etc. one really interesting store like "The Gardener" would be so great. They would need to do something like Berkeley. I think Crate and Barrel would be fine or Anthropology too. About non-corporate I understand, but look all around it is nothing but corporate. St Helena Main was able to keep corporate out with planning commission etc, but always has been a different area. Some businesses have survived doing well and some shops and restaurants have struggled. I think Sur La Table would compliment what exists already. Their price points are reasonable and they do smart buying.
- Sierra Minchaca Maybe both stores should be a Starbucks each.
- Sarah Rennison at this point the traffic is horrible in that shopping center, I grew up down the street, I remember when there was Bel Aire Bowl, Joanns, Papa Murphys, Zapatas, JC Penney. I remember Wards to. The shopping center has changed so much, and it is awesome that it is thriving, but it would nice to have something more community based.
What visions do you have for Bel Aire's vacancies? Tell us in the comments what stores, restaurants and services you'd like to see in the city's northern shopping plaza.
And for instant updates when we publish more news about Bel Aire Plaza, click the "Keep me posted" button below.
Earlier articles include:
- Napa Copperfield's is Moving
- Bel Aire Plaza Undergoing More Changes
- Bel Aire Mystery Solved: Chico's is Coming to Napa
- Caffino Coffee Drive-Through Evicted in Napa
- Bel Aire Barber Shop Changes Hands
- Bel Aire Plaza Recruits New Tenants in North Napa