Did you see or hear the car-sized meteor that disintegrated over the East Bay hills Wednesday night? Napa Valley Patch asked on our Facebook page; here's what readers said:
- Christine Cronin We saw it!
- Niki Rabe I saw the whole thing. Thought that it was the end of the world lol It was crazy big tho and looked like a gold firecracker!!!
- Tammy Kent Horvath We saw it!!! Watched it until it fizzled! It was awesome!!! My 7 & 10 year old were amazed!
- Nicole Rose O'Hara We saw it too! we were out on 4th Ave on a property that was pitch black! it was incredible! the tail and sparks behind it major OOoooo and aweeee moment!
- Sarah Amaya I saw it too. I thought it was lightning.
- Dustin Snider I saw something fly out of the north sky around 7:30 ish while driving up 29.
- Katie Cerasoli I felt like it flew right over me!
- Chelsea Crown I saw it while canoeing in the Bay. It was amazing!
- Doug Dunlap I wondered what that was! Thought it was fireworks but it didn't make a sound. Crazy what I get to see while walking the dog.
- Chelsea Crown We definitely heard it, too, but it was delayed: part of the sonic boom, I suppose, in that light travels faster than sound. Really awesome.
If you caught a glimpse of this event — made all the more astonishing by the fact that astronomers say the meteor was not part of the current Orionids meteor shower — tell us in the comments.
For more about what's been happening in our skies, please see
- Meteor the Size of a Car Hits Bay Area
- How to Watch the Orionids Meteor Shower 2012