8 x 10 Ten Minute Play Festival
On stage December 7-December 16
Napa Valley Playhouse and Lucky Penny Productions will present the first-ever theatrical event of this type in Napa, showcasing new works written for this competition.
For the audience, a series of short, new plays makes for a fresh and energetic experience. For directors and actors, it's a chance to develop skills by working on a variety of situations and characters. And for emerging and established writers, it's an opportunity to see the words go from the page to the stage.
From 97 submissions by 78 different authors – 17 from Napa County – eight plays have been selected for production in the "8 x 10" Festival of Ten-Minute Plays in December in Napa. The selection committee of three experienced theatre artists from the region read "blind" copies of the new works and chose the plays listed alphabetically here:
- "Calliope" by Joseph Horst, Greenville NC
- "Coat of Gold" by Susan Jackson, San Francisco CA
- "Color" by Jerry Levitin, Napa CA
- "Eternity" by Elan Garonzik, New York NY
- "The Hidden Cellar" by Daniel Weber, Great Neck NY
- "The Terminal by Ron Burch, Los Angeles CA
- "When Irish Eyes are Flirting" by Joe Starzyk, Troy, NY
- "Women of a Certain Age" by Barry Martin, Napa CA
The selection committee will also choose one of the eight plays to receive the festival "Gold Medal," and members of the audience over the course of the run will vote for the "People’s Choice" award winner. Authors of the prize winning plays will receive a $100 honorarium.