Brown-Miller was selected as one of five finalists in the national cooking competition for her chicken and waffles recipe and vying for $25,000 and bragging rights.
Along with her first place trophy, she won cash, a Saveur magazine subscription and a bundle of Maytag® kitchen appliances, contest organizers said.
Her winning recipe, Waffled Latkes with Matzo Fried Chicken & Spicy Syrup, easily won over the panel of five judges, said organizers.
Brown-Miller, 38, is an insurance brokerage co-owner with her husband. When she was young, she said she would hang out in the kitchen with her father and they would make recipes together from the latest cooking magazines.
Contestants were challenged to prepare family-friendly recipes incorporating one of the Manischewitz All-Natural broth flavors. All recipes had to be a new submissions, adhere to kosher guidelines, be prepared in under an hour, and have no more than 9 ingredients which must include one of the Manischewitz All-Natural Broth flavors plus one additional Manischewitz product.
The Grand Prize winner was selected by a panel of judges including:
- Helen Rosner, Saveur
- Sharon Franke, Good Housekeeping
- Claire Suddath, Bloomberg Business Week
- Rosie Saferstein, New Jersey Monthly
- Jen Goran, JCC in Manhattan
The other finalists came from all over the nation and include kosher and non-kosher consumers. Here are the other four:
- Dina Burcat, New York, NY – Latke Crusted Chicken with Apple Cider, Mushroom & Rosemary Sauce
- Naylet LaRochelle, Miami, FL – Halibut Couscous
- Ronna Sue Farley, Rockville, MD – Beef Tenderloin Puffs
- Joe Carver, Philadelphia, PA – Bubby’s Noodle Strudel
Here is Brown-Miller’s winning recipe:
Waffled Latkes with Matzo Fried Chicken & Spicy Syrup
- 1 lb. kosher chicken tenders
- ½ cup kosher maple syrup
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. Srirahca, divided
- 3 kosher eggs, divided
- 3 ¾ cups Manischewitz All Natural Chicken Broth
- 1 5oz. pkg Manischewitz Matzo Ball Mix
- 1 6oz. pkg Manischewitz Potato Pancake Mix
- 1 Tbsp. + enough for frying kosher vegetable oil, divided
- 4 cups mixed greens
- Pour 2 cups of chicken broth into a zip top bag. Add the chicken and seal. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. While the chicken marinates, stir together the maple syrup and ¼ cup of Sriracha in a small bowl. Set aside. Whisk 2 of the eggs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of the sriracha in a medium bowl. Set aside. Pour matzo mix onto a large plate. Set aside.
- Warm waffle iron to high heat. In a medium bowl, whisk remaining egg with remaining 1 ¾ cup of the chicken broth. Add the potato pancake mix and stir to combine. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil. Allow to thicken for 5 minutes. Using a quarter of the mixture at a time, cook 4 waffles for 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Keep warm on a plate in a 150 degree oven.
- While waiting for the waffles to cook, make the chicken. Pour vegetable oil into a large skillet and bring to medium high heat. Drain chicken from the broth, then add to the egg mixture, stirring to coat. One piece at a time, remove chicken from egg and Sriracha mixture and dip into the matzo mix, turning and pressing to coat. Add half of the chicken tenders to the oil and cover. Cook for 2 minutes, then turn and cook uncovered for 2 more minutes. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining chicken in the same manner.
- Place one waffle on each of four plates. Add equal amounts of the mixed greens and chicken tenders to each, then drizzle with the spicy syrup to taste.